My name is Ismini Karamesinis. I am a fun and engaging one-on-one music teacher offering lessons in piano, singing and music theory, both online and face to face. My teaching philosophy is to develop a strong connection with each of my students and meet them where they are at right now. Particularly with older children, teenage and adult students, I start with helping students learn music they love, then complement this with other music they are yet to discover. Fun is at the heart of all my lessons, as is providing students with achievable challenges so they learn and grow.
With 7 years of experience teaching children, teenagers and adults, I offer face to face and online lessons. As well as founding MusicZone, I currently teach piano and singing at Beaumaris Primary School. Previously I have taught piano and singing at Black Rock Primary School. I have a Working with Children Check.
My music performance experience
I perform regularly as both a chorister and pianist. My recent experience includes:
- Bachelor of Music from Monash University majoring in Classical Piano Performance.
- Chorister in Exaudi, including performing on many choir tours. The Ireland and Scotland choir tour in 2019 has been a highlight.
- I’m also a chorister in Choral Edge and performed in Stories from the Choir at the Fringe Festival in Melbourne.
- Keyboard player in the Toorak College Collegians Band.
- Honours for AMEB Grade 8 Piano for Leisure.
My teaching professional development
As well as performing often, I do professional development so I can continue to excel in my teaching. Recently I have completed:
- Secondary Level 2 and Primary Level 1 of the Australian Kodaly Certificate. This involved learning to deliver a sequential music curriculum.
- 4 Chord Composing. A course on how to teach students chords and use chords to write their own songs.
- No Book Beginners. A course on how to teach primary school beginners in a creative and fun way.
- Preschool No Book Beginners. Another course on teaching beginners, this time on how to teach 4 and 5 year old children in a creative and fun way.
- Pianoflix: How to Teach Pop Piano. A course on which types of pop songs work on piano and involving students in arranging and playing pop songs by ear.
- How does my voice work? A course on how to improve voice technique.
- Advanced Musicianship Classes. Kodály-inspired aural training and music theory.
- Improvisation for Non-improvisers. A workshop on improvisation strategies and how to teach students to improvise.
Most of all, I look forward to sharing my passion for music with students, whether as an online music teacher or face to face teacher. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or would like more information about online or face to face lessons.